Grilled chicken is used quite often in my household, mostly because its easy and quick to throw on the grill or in the oven. I ALWAYS crave mexican food while on the keto diet so my mom and I recently made this mexican inspired grilled chicken and vegetables and now I am bringing this delicious recipe to you! If you do not have a grill or just don’t feel like cooking on it, you can also make this recipe completely in the oven and I will be including the instructions for the baking method as well!
An important thing to remember when cooking meat on a ketogenic diet, especially chicken breast, is to always add healthy fats like butter, coconut oil or olive oil when cooking it. This is important because chicken breast is very high in protein and low in fat and carbohydrates. You can also add fat to this recipe by adding toppings like avocado and sour cream to get the fat content higher as well.
If you are new to the ketogenic diet, and you don’t understand why healthy fat is important on a keto diet then check out this article: The Ketogenic Diet for Beginners
Now Lets Get Started
- 6, 4oz skinless / boneless chicken breasts
- 3 tbsp butter
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1/4 cup of lime juice
- 1/2 tsp garlic powder
- 1/2 tsp onion powder
- 1/2 tsp extra spicy seasoning
- 1/2 tsp southwest chipotle seasoning
- 1 1/2 cup asparagus chopped
- 1 medium onion sliced
- 1 cup mixed bell peppers sliced
- 1 medium roma tomato sliced
NOTE: The ingredients shown above are just the ones that we used but you can always add your own twist to the recipe by using different vegetables or seasonings.
- Preheat your grill to medium-high or the oven to 350˚F.
- Prep the chicken breasts by rinsing them off in cold water then placing them in a bowl.
- Mix the lime juice, garlic powder, onion powder, extra spicy seasoning, and southwest chipotle seasoning in the bowl with the chicken. Mix with wooden spoon or hands until the chicken is completely covered in the lime juice and seasonings.
Chicken Cooking Instructions:
- After the chicken is seasoned well, place them on the grill and check every 5-7 minutes. The chicken should take about 25-30 minutes to cook fully, but depending on your grill and the temperature at which you are cooking, it may take longer to cook all the way through. If you are using an oven to cook the chicken, preheat your oven to 350˚F and cook for 25-30 minutes.
- After you have checked to make sure the chicken is cooked all the way through, remove them from the grill or oven and place in a bowl and toss in 2 tablespoons of melted butter.
- Place lid or tin foil on bowl to keep the chicken warm.
- Rinse all vegetables and place them on a cutting board.
- Chop or slice all your vegetables and place them in a bowl.
- Mix in olive oil and coat the vegetables completely.
- Transfer your vegetables to a grilling tray or pan.
Vegetable Cooking Instructions:
- Cook vegetables on medium high on the grill or 450˚F in the oven
- Mix vegetables every 5-10 minutes.
- The vegetables should take about 15-20 minutes to cook on the grill, cook them until they are slightly browned on the edges.
- In the oven, the vegetables should take about 20-25 minutes, the vegetables may take longer than suggested time depending how brown you like them
- Melt a tablespoon of butter over the roasted vegetables.
- Plate and serve your chicken and vegetables.
This post contains Amazon Affiliate links. If you click on one of these links and purchase products, I may earn a small commission which helps me with the running costs of the site. Thank you for supporting Kevin Goes Keto.